Sally Wynter calls for urgent safety review after no response to emergency help button at busy London station
A millionaire businesswoman has demanded an urgent review of Transport for London’s (TfL) emergency Help Points after she was left stranded and traumatised on a Tube platform following a violent assault.
Sally Wynter, an entrepreneur who sold her alcohol brand MUHU in a million-pound deal after growing up on benefits, was travelling home on the Victoria Line last Thursday when she was suddenly attacked.
A man “knocked her sideways” into the train’s glass window in a shocking unprovoked assault, leaving her in distress. However, despite hitting the emergency Help Point button at Oxford Circus station multiple times, she received no response and was left standing alone on the platform for 30 minutes.
Passengers failed to assist distressed victim
The 30-year-old businesswoman, who was raised in Haringey, North London, said fellow passengers failed to intervene or offer assistance following the attack. The suspect, a bald man with a “thick Caribbean accent” wearing a puffer jacket, reportedly exited the train at Green Park, leaving Ms Wynter in a state of shock.
“I was completely in bits,” she told The Standard. “Everyone knew something was happening. I was bawling my eyes out on the train, but no one stopped voluntarily to help.”
After disembarking at Oxford Circus, she pressed the emergency intercom at one of the station’s Help Points at least four times, desperate to catch the attacker, but no response came.
“There were tears streaming down my face,” she recalled. “I even asked two old ladies for tissues. That really hit me—it’s a sad reflection of how little we care for each other in a big city like London.”
Failure to act may have led to further attacks
Ms Wynter later called 999 to report the attack, and British Transport Police (BTP) informed her that the suspect matched the description of a man who had kicked a child at Green Park ticket hall shortly after her assault. However, he allegedly walked free after the child’s parents chose not to press charges.
A man in his 30s was arrested on suspicion of assault on Wednesday in connection with the Tube incident.
Following the ordeal, Ms Wynter has called for a meeting with London Mayor Sadiq Khan to push for an immediate audit of all emergency Help Points across the Underground network.
She also urged Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander to launch a nationwide review of rail Help Points. An Office of Rail and Road audit last year found that a quarter of railway stations had at least one broken emergency intercom.
“This is not just an isolated incident,” Ms Wynter stressed. “It’s not just a London issue; it’s a national issue. If someone in my position, with a high-profile social media following, struggled to get a response, what happens to ordinary people in the same situation?”
TfL and police under pressure to improve safety
TfL faced a wave of criticism after Ms Wynter detailed her experience on social media, where her post quickly went viral.
“Transport for London only reached out to me after my story gained traction online,” she said. “It’s hard to have confidence in TfL or the police when there have been multiple failings.”
A spokesperson for TfL apologised, stating:
“Safety is our top priority, and we are truly sorry for the experience Ms Wynter had. Everyone should feel safe while travelling on our network. If anyone is a victim or witness of a crime, they should be able to access help and support immediately.
“We are investigating as a matter of urgency why Ms Wynter did not receive the assistance she should have and have reached out to offer support.”
The Mayor of London’s office also issued a statement, saying:
“The Mayor’s thoughts are with Sally Wynter following the distressing incident she experienced. Everyone should feel safe in London. The British Transport Police are investigating, and an arrest has been made.
“All passengers deserve confidence in the safety of the TfL network and assurance that help is always available when needed.”
Calls for urgent reform to ensure passenger safety
Ms Wynter’s case has reignited concerns over passenger safety on the London Underground, particularly the reliability of emergency Help Points. Critics have long argued that a lack of staff presence at stations and unreliable communication systems leave vulnerable passengers at risk.
She has vowed to continue pressing for improvements, insisting:
“This is about more than just me. It’s about ensuring that no one else has to go through such a terrifying and isolating experience.”
Meanwhile, British Transport Police continue to appeal for witnesses, urging anyone with information about the incident to contact them via text at 61016 or call 0800 405040, quoting reference 523 of 27 March.