Escalation of military operations
Israel’s Defence Minister, Israel Katz, has directed the military to “seize additional areas in Gaza” and warned that parts of the region may face permanent occupation unless Hamas releases all remaining hostages.
Katz stated that the military operation would continue “with increasing intensity” until all hostages—both living and deceased—were returned. Official estimates suggest that 24 of the 59 hostages still in Gaza are alive, though their fate remains uncertain as negotiations for a second-phase ceasefire have stalled.
Collapse of the ceasefire
A fragile ceasefire, which had been in place since January, broke down this week as Israel resumed its bombing and ground campaign in Gaza, leading to hundreds of casualties. The humanitarian situation has been described as “gravely, gravely concerning” by Sam Rose, a representative of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA), who highlighted the desperate conditions across the region.
The breakdown has been attributed to disagreements between Israel and Hamas. Israel and the United States have accused Hamas of rejecting ceasefire extension proposals, while Hamas maintains that it is “engaging with the mediators with full responsibility and seriousness.”
Israeli defence minister’s warning
In a statement on Friday, Katz declared: “The more Hamas continues its refusal, the more territory it will lose to Israel.” He reiterated that Israel was still open to the ceasefire proposal mediated by US envoy Steve Witkoff, which would see hostages released in two stages with a ceasefire in between.
“We will intensify the fighting with strikes from the air, sea and land and by expanding the ground manoeuvre until the hostages are released and Hamas is defeated,” Katz asserted.
He also referenced Israel’s intention to implement “US President Trump’s voluntary transfer plan for Gaza residents,” which aims to permanently remove Gaza’s population of two million Palestinians. Trump has stated that he envisions the US taking over and rebuilding the Gaza Strip.
International response and humanitarian concerns
The Palestinian Authority and Hamas have rejected any plans that suggest displacement, with a joint statement affirming that “Gaza is not for sale.” The United Nations has warned that any forced displacement of civilians from occupied territories would be a violation of international law and “tantamount to ethnic cleansing.”
Months of negotiations between the US, Qatar, and Egypt had resulted in a ceasefire proposal structured in three phases. However, Israel and Hamas failed to agree on terms beyond the first stage. The negotiations collapsed when Israel and the US suggested an extension of stage one, a move that Hamas rejected as a “blatant attempt to evade the agreement.”
Resumption of violence
The ceasefire officially ended on Tuesday when Israel launched intense airstrikes on Gaza, reportedly killing over 430 people within 48 hours, according to the Hamas-run health ministry. On Thursday, Hamas retaliated by firing three rockets towards Tel Aviv.
Blaming Hamas for the renewed hostilities, Israeli government spokesman David Mencer said that the group had “rejected every hostage deal.”
Israel asserts that Hamas still holds 59 hostages, of whom 24 are believed to be alive. On Friday, acting US Ambassador to the United Nations, Dorothy Shea, blamed Hamas for the continued war and the collapse of the ceasefire negotiations. “Every death would have been avoided had Hamas accepted the bridge proposal,” she told the UN Security Council.
Hamas, however, denies responsibility for the breakdown of talks. In a statement on Telegram, the group claimed it remains “deeply involved” in the mediation process and is reviewing the Witkoff proposal along with other potential solutions aimed at securing a prisoner exchange, ending the war, and ensuring a withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza.
Impact on civilians and ongoing blockade
Katz also announced that civilians would be evacuated from areas that the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) are targeting. However, previous evacuation orders have caused widespread panic among Palestinian families, many of whom have already been displaced multiple times since the conflict began and have limited safe options remaining.
At the start of March, Israel imposed a blockade on Gaza, preventing food, fuel, and medical supplies from entering. Israeli authorities have claimed that Hamas has been seizing these provisions, though no evidence has been provided to support this allegation.
Wider conflict and humanitarian toll
Israel’s military operation was launched in response to the unprecedented attack by Hamas on 7 October 2023, during which approximately 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage.
Since then, the conflict has resulted in the deaths of over 49,500 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s health ministry. Large portions of the region’s infrastructure and housing have been destroyed, exacerbating an already dire humanitarian crisis.
As the situation continues to escalate, international efforts to broker peace remain in deadlock, leaving civilians on both sides facing an uncertain and perilous future.