Tom Crowther KC, a barrister tasked with shaping a national framework for locally-led child grooming inquiries, has revealed he was left questioning his role due to an apparent lack of communication from the Government.
Almost three months after being named as a key figure in the Home Office’s efforts to tackle child sexual abuse and grooming gangs, Mr Crowther told MPs he has received little clarity on how his work should progress. At one point, he even asked a Home Office official directly: “Do you still want me?”
A role in limbo
Mr Crowther, who chaired the 2022 inquiry into child abuse in Telford, was publicly announced on 6th January by Home Secretary Yvette Cooper as an adviser working with local councils where “stronger engagement with victims and survivors is needed.”
Days later, the Home Office clarified that he would help develop a “new effective framework for victim-centred, locally-led inquiries” and collaborate with Oldham Council and four other pilot areas.
However, during an appearance before the Home Affairs Committee on Tuesday, Mr Crowther admitted he is still unclear about his role.
“Ultimately, in answer to the question ‘how is a national framework being developed?’ I would say, at this stage, I don’t know,” he said.
He outlined a timeline of events since January, including sporadic phone calls and text messages with a Home Office official. At one point, he said he even sought advice from former Justice Secretary Sir Robert Buckland, due to the Home Office’s lack of response.
Confusion over framework development
According to Mr Crowther, he was initially informed on 10th January that his job would be to draft a “basic but intensely practical” framework, likely no more than a few pages, to help local authorities run their own grooming inquiries.
A roundtable meeting with representatives from five pilot areas was planned but was later cancelled without explanation.
As weeks passed with no further instruction, Mr Crowther sent follow-up messages to the Home Office. On 14th February, he directly asked the official: “Do you still want me?”
He was told that the draft framework was now to be “ministerial and adviser-drafted” rather than his responsibility, though his comments would be welcomed.
Even then, he struggled to maintain communication. Seven days after requesting further details via email rather than text, he had to send another reminder.
Meeting scheduled – but uncertainty remains
Mr Crowther told MPs he is now due to meet with Home Office officials on Wednesday. However, he has been informed that he will not be asked to endorse the framework but merely offer insights based on his Telford experience.
Liberal Democrat MP Paul Kohler described Mr Crowther’s evidence as “very interesting”, questioning why he had not been asked to draft the framework himself.
“Would it not be more logical for you to draft the framework and for the Home Office to comment on that?” Mr Kohler asked.
After a pause, Mr Crowther replied cryptically: “You may think that, I couldn’t possibly comment.”
Funding concerns for grooming inquiries
Mr Kohler also raised concerns about the £5 million allocated by the Government to fund locally-led inquiries, noting that the Telford investigation alone had cost at least that amount.
“What’s £5 million going to buy for five inquiries? What are they going to have to lose out on?” he questioned.
Mr Crowther admitted he had “no idea” how procurement would work but suggested the process may have hit bureaucratic hurdles.
He also expressed uncertainty about when the full list of pilot locations would be announced, initially expected before Easter.
Independent action on oldham inquiry
Amid the confusion, Mr Crowther took matters into his own hands by arranging a meeting with the leader of Oldham Council.
He was aware that his name had been publicly linked to Oldham’s grooming inquiry, and after speaking with council officials, he was confirmed as chair of their independent review last month.
He made clear that “whatever the Home Secretary announces”, the Oldham inquiry would proceed.
‘Musk factor’ in the debate
The issue of grooming gangs has gained international attention, partly due to tech billionaire Elon Musk’s online comments earlier this year.
Mr Crowther referenced the “Musk sphere”, noting that statutory inquiries—those with legal powers to compel witnesses and evidence—have become a political talking point.
He argued that while statutory powers can be “necessary and useful”, they are not always required.
“An effective local inquiry can be had without statutory powers. I know because I’ve done one,” he said, referring to Telford.
He also cited Professor Alexis Jay’s 2013 Rotherham report, which exposed widespread abuse without requiring legal compulsion.
Conclusion
Tom Crowther KC’s revelations paint a picture of Government indecision and poor communication surrounding locally-led grooming inquiries.
While he remains committed to ensuring justice for survivors, his testimony suggests that the Home Office’s approach lacks coherence, risking delays in vital investigations.
As his meeting with officials looms, it remains to be seen whether the Government will provide him with a clear mandate – or whether his question “do you still want me?” will remain unanswered.