The Government has issued an apology after a mathematical error resulted in some infected blood victims being offered incorrect compensation amounts.
Baroness Anderson of Stoke-on-Trent addressed the House of Lords, confirming that those affected were contacted on Wednesday to inform them of the mistake. She reassured them that they would not be worse off as a result and that they would receive an additional ex gratia payment to rectify the issue.
The Labour frontbencher described the situation as “deeply regrettable” and acknowledged that those already engaged with the Infected Blood Compensation Authority (IBCA) may feel disheartened. Her remarks came as she laid down draft regulations outlining the full details of the infected blood compensation scheme, which will also correct the previous miscalculation.
Error in the 2024 regulations
Lady Anderson explained that the issue arose due to a mathematical miscalculation in the 2024 regulations, which determined financial loss and care award amounts. She stressed that this was a genuine technical error rather than an intentional oversight.
“These regulations amend a small mathematical error that was present in the 2024 regulations,” she stated.
“This was a genuine technical error, but I want to be clear: we know those already engaging with IBCA may be disheartened by this mistake, and I want to take this opportunity to apologise to them directly.”
Lady Anderson reassured claimants that the correction would not cause any delays to the rollout of compensation.
“The error itself is a result of the mathematical formula used to calculate someone’s financial loss and care award in the 2024 regulations. This means that some people who have had an offer made so far will have been offered slightly less than was intended,” she said.
“This will only impact a relatively small number of people who have received their offer of compensation from IBCA.”
Corrective action and 2025 regulations
The draft 2025 regulations introduce a different process for calculating compensation, which simplifies the system while also correcting the mistake. The revised formula ensures that those affected by the error will receive the correct amount.
Lady Anderson confirmed that IBCA had proactively reached out to affected claimants, assuring them that no one would be negatively impacted.
“In addition to IBCA ensuring that everyone receives the correct amount of compensation, people who have been impacted will also receive a small additional ex gratia payment,” she added.
She stressed that steps were taken swiftly, with the 2025 regulations thoroughly reviewed to prevent further miscalculations.
“Again, I wish to be clear that the Government apologises to those who have been impacted as a result of this error. It is deeply regrettable and has been amended as quickly as possible,” she said.
Concerns raised by peers
Lady Anderson outlined that the revised scheme extends eligibility to those affected by the scandal through their loved ones, while maintaining a core route for infected individuals and a supplementary route for exceptional cases.
Exceptional cases include individuals who:
- Were subjected to unethical research.
- Developed rare and severe health conditions as a result of infected blood.
- Experienced significant financial loss beyond standard compensation levels.
However, peers in the House of Lords voiced numerous concerns regarding the scheme. These included:
- The introduction of exclusions, leading to inconsistent treatment among victims.
- The imposition of new evidence requirements, adding bureaucratic hurdles.
- Discrimination against carers, with some feeling overlooked.
- Questions over the independence of IBCA from Government influence.
Liberal Democrat peer Baroness Brinton, who tabled a regret motion, claimed there were 57 separate issues with the scheme.
She argued that infected blood victims and their families were being “re-victimised” by ongoing delays in compensation payouts.
Government response and current payouts
Lady Anderson provided an update on compensation claims, stating that as of 14 March:
- 255 people had been invited to begin their claim.
- 214 people had started the claim process.
- 63 offers had been made, totalling over £73 million in compensation.
Of those, 40 people had accepted their offers, with over £44 million already paid out.
Despite this progress, campaigners argue that the process remains too slow, and the Government continues to face pressure to speed up payments and ensure fair treatment for all those affected by the contaminated blood scandal.
The infected blood scandal, described as one of the worst health disasters in UK history, saw thousands of people given contaminated blood products in the 1970s and 1980s, leading to lifelong illness and fatalities. While the Government has pledged to deliver justice, victims and their families continue to demand a more transparent and efficient process.